About the AMA Certified Professional in Management™ Certification
Organizations want to hire and promote managers that will allow them to improve their talent acquisition ROI. Hiring and promoting managers with the AMA Certified Professional in Management™ certification gives organizations a tool to recognize those with managerial competence and leadership potential. The Certified Professional in Management credential embodies the critical knowledge, skills and abilities associated with AMA’s Total Professional℠ Framework.
The exam is aligned to the AMA Total Professional™ and follows the topics listed in the Test Specifications. The Test Specifications are a result of the Job-Task Analysis, an empirical analysis of the frequency and importance of tasks done by managers in multiple industries.
To be eligible to sit for the AMA Certified Professional in Management™ exam, an applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have a
- HS diploma + a minimum of 5 years professional work experience;
- 2-year degree + a minimum of 3 years professional work experience;
- 4-year degree + a minimum of 1 year professional work experience.
Professional Experience may include some or all of the following:
- Managing one or multiple direct reports
- Working in the role of a manager without the title
- Serving as a team lead
- Having responsibility for organizing other team members
- Driving and motivating team members
- Acting as an influencer or “go to” person with or without title authority
- Serving as an active contributing team member
- Possessing functional or technical expertise
About the Exam
The exam is comprised of 175 single response, multiple choice questions designed to assess the applicant’s knowledge and skills in performing managerial tasks. Questions are written at one of three cognitive levels:
- Knowledge/recall: these questions require remembering previously learned material and focus on definitions and recalling facts
- Interpretation: these questions require application of and extrapolation from an established theory, technique or principle
- Problem solving and evaluation: these questions require providing a solution to a problem
Of the 175 question, 150 are scored and 25 are unscored. The questions that are unscored are trial questions placed on the exam in random order. Performance data gathered on the trial questions will determine if the questions will be used as scored questions in future exams.
- 10-minute tutorial
- 3.5-hour test
- 10-minute exit survey
Preparing for Your Exam
It is in the candidates’ best interest to become familiar with and knowledgeable of candidate handbook, test specifications and the recommended resources found in the candidate handbook.
Completed applications must be received 30 days prior to the testing window.
All applications and submissions will be reviewed after the non-refundable application fee is received. Allow two (2) weeks to receive the results of the application review.
Complete the online application (coming soon) by:
- filling in all the required fields:
- Make sure that the name and birthdate on your application matches the government issued ID that you will bring with you to the test center.
- uploading all required documentation,
- signing the terms and conditions, and,
- paying the non-refundable application fee.
|30 or more calendar days prior to the testing window
|20 – 29 calendar days prior to the testing window
|Applications received less than 20 calendar days prior to the testing window start date will be applied to the next testing window.
If you have a documented disability, AMA will make all reasonable attempts to provide testing accommodations that comply with the 2014 ADA Testing Accommodations. Make sure you check the appropriate box in your application. Be sure to provide a letter from your health care professional that documents the reason for needing the accommodation. Accommodations such as the following may be offered as appropriate:
- Reader or screen reading technology
- Scribe to enter candidate dictated responses
- Extended time
- Wheelchair-accessible test centers and rooms
- Permission to take medicines
- Distraction free rooms
Schedule and Pay for Your Exam
Once the application has been approved, applicants will be given a unique identification in their approval letter. Use this identification to schedule and pay for your exam through PSI, AMA’s exam delivery provider. After you schedule and pay for your exam, you will receive a confirmation letter from PSI. Please print out the confirmation letter and bring it with you to the PSI Test Center.
Candidates have 12 months in which to schedule and sit for their exam. If a candidate has not tested within their eligibility period, their eligibility to sit for the exam expires, and all fees are forfeited. Candidates have up to three (3) chances to pass the exam.
Rescheduling and Canceling Exam Appointments
Contact PSI directly to reschedule or cancel your exam. The following rules apply:
- Canceling or Rescheduling test appointments within the same testing window:
|31 or more calendar days prior to the exam appointment
||No additional fees
|4 – 30 calendar days prior to the exam appointment
||To be determined
|Candidates cannot cancel or reschedule exam appointments within 3 calendar days prior to their exam appointment.
- No Show:
- Candidates who do not show up for their scheduled exam appointment will not be given any refunds, nor will they be able to exchange their missed exam date for a new one.
- Transferring test appointments to a different testing window:
|31 calendar days or more prior to the exam appointment
|4 – 30 calendar days prior to the exam appointment
||To be determined
|Candidates cannot transfer exam appointments within 3 calendar days prior to their exam appointment. If the candidate cannot make their appointed test time, the appointment will be considered a no-show and no refunds or exchanges will be provided.
When an exam appointment is rescheduled, a new confirmation letter will be issued by PSI. If you do not receive your new confirmation letter, please contact PSI directly to confirm that your exam appointment has been rescheduled and request a new confirmation letter.
Please feel free to contact AMA Certification if you feel that you had a negative testing experience due to
- test center concerns (i.e., test center conditions were not favorable due to HVAC not working or distracting ambient noise)
- test content concerns
For test center concerns, please include the following information in your email:
- date, location and time of your test
- description of problem
- test center complaint report ID
For test content concerns, please leave a comment in the test item itself; then, please email AMA Certification alerting us of your concern so that we may review your comments on the item.
The AMA Certified Professional in Management™ exam is scored on a scale between x and y with z being the passing point. Diagnostic test results will be presented on screen at the end of the exam and will be printed at the test center for your records. Applicants who pass the examination will receive their certificate in the mail.
Since the exam is computer scored, AMA will not hand-score or re-score any exams.