Your privacy on the Internet is important to AMA.
This Website (“Website”), located at amanet.org, including any services and features available on or through the Website such as blogs and user communities, is published and maintained by American Management Association International
- How AMA collects and uses Personally Identifiable Information
- With whom AMA may share Personally Identifiable Information
- The choices available to you, as a Website visitor, regarding collection, use and sharing of Personally Identifiable Information
- The security procedures that AMA has in place for Personally Identifiable Information under our control
Unless you opt-out, you consent to the use of tracking technologies in this way and as described in more detail below. For more information about third party advertisers and how to prevent them from using your information, visit the NAI’s consumer Web site at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or the DAA’s consumer Web site at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
You may opt out of our sharing of your Personally Identifiable Information with third parties for marketing purposes, by following the directions in the Sharing Personally Identifiable Information section below.
Collection and Use
AMA collects Personally Identifiable Information from you when you expressly volunteer the information. This includes when you:
- Register for a seminar, become a Member, purchase or download an AMA product or service.
- Request information (electronically) about AMA’s products and services, subscribe to newsletters, or enter a promotional contest.
- Use or participate in various services or features made available on the Website (including, for example and without limitation, blogs and other user communities).
- Use various tools to select AMA products and services that are suitable for your Website visit.
- Request contact with an AMA sales representative.
- Provide AMA with comments, questions or feedback about AMA products and services or your Website experience.
“Personally Identifiable Information” includes, for example, your name; home or business address; e-mail address; telephone, wireless and/or fax number; short message service or text message address or other wireless device address; instant messaging address; credit card and other payment information; employment information and work experience; demographic information and/or other information that may identify you as an individual or allow online or offline contact with you as an individual.
Among other things, we may use your Personally Identifiable Information to respond to your requests and inquiries; to provide you with the services, products and features offered on or through the Website; to customize our Website to your interests and history with us; to protect our rights and property; and for other purposes disclosed when Personally Identifiable Information is submitted to us. We may also use your Personally Identifiable Information to tailor ads displayed to you on our Website and elsewhere to your interests and history with us and to communicate timely information and special offers (for example, in the form of e-mails, mailings, and the like) about products, services, companies and events, sponsored by us and others, that we think might interest you. You may choose not to receive our promotional e-mails and mailings by e-mailing [email protected] or by calling AMA Customer Service at 1-877-566-9441. Please understand that if you choose not to receive such promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us.
If you register for a seminar or pay for products and services using a credit card, Personally Identifiable Information (such as your name and shipping address) and financial information (such as your credit card number and expiration date) may be required. This information may be used for billing purposes and to fill orders. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information may be used to get in touch with you. Personally Identifiable Information also may be collected when you apply for a position with AMA or a program sponsored by AMA. In these cases, Personally Identifiable Information is used only for the purpose of processing and evaluating the application.
The Personally Identifiable Information you give us via the Website and information about your order may be combined with other Personally Identifiable Information (such as demographic information and past purchase history) and Website Usage Information available from our records and other sources (including, without limitation, our worldwide databases and third parties). This information may be used to make our future marketing efforts more efficient and will help us to improve the operations and maintenance of our Website and business.
Any or all of the above activities with regard to Personally Identifiable Information may be performed by us or on our behalf by our service providers or partners.
When You Refer a Friend/Colleague
AMA respects the privacy of your friends and coworkers. AMA will not keep or maintain names or e-mail addresses when you use our refer-a-friend function. The refer-a-friend function is solely to provide your friends and coworkers with the information you have requested we pass along to them.
Webcasts, Online “Meetings” and Similar Services
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information
AMA may share Personally Identifiable Information collected electronically through its Website in the following ways:
- AMA or AMA partners may use third parties to provides services for AMA (or on its behalf), such as an outside shipping company to ship orders, and/or a credit card processing company to bill for goods and services purchased through the AMA Website, and AMA will share Personally Identifiable Information with those entities.
- From time to time, AMA works with business partners, service providers and sponsors to provide or offer specific products and services, such as jointly developed and marketed products and services. When you sign up for or utilize such products or services, we will share Personally Identifiable Information necessary for the partner/sponsor to provide these products or services to you.
- AMA does provide certain third parties with its postal mailing address list (which includes names and postal addresses) on a rental basis, and, in some cases, AMA may also provide third parties with information about you and your order so that they can more easily identify and communicate offers that may interest you. If you wish to be excluded from such lists and from receiving third party mailings, or if you prefer that we do not share your information with third parties for their own marketing purposes, please e-mail [email protected] or call AMA Customer Service at 1-877-566-9441. To stop receiving promotional messages from third parties who already have your contact information, please contact them directly.
- AMA may provide Personally Identifiable Information obtained from non-U.S. individuals to its licensee located in the country or region where the individual is located, and our licensee may use this information to communicate with the user. If you prefer that we do not provide your information to our licensee, please e-mail [email protected] or call AMA Customer Service at 1-877-566-9441.
- When you contribute to a public area or feature of our Website, such as one of our online communities, messaging services, chat services, bulletin boards, message boards, blogs or other such open forums, the information that you submit will be made available to the general public. For this reason, we recommend that you exercise caution in the submission of Personally Identifiable Information to these areas of our Website as it will be publicly accessible.
- We may disclose to third parties aggregate, non-personally identifiable data regarding user behavior, such as overall patterns or demographic reports, as a measure of interest in, and use of, our Website, e-mails and other messaging campaigns.
- We may use or disclose Personally Identifiable Information in order to investigate any claim or suspicion of a violation of our Website Terms of Service, to assist with law enforcement investigations, or as otherwise required by law.
AMA may transfer Personally Identifiable Information to a third party in the event of a sale of stock, merger or consolidation, reorganization, or other transfer of all or a portion of the assets of AMA, whether voluntarily or by operation of law. In addition, such a transfer may mean that your Personally Identifiable Information is transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). In using the Website and the various features and services made available thereon, you consent to such transfer of your Personally Identifiable Information.
Website Usage information—Not Linked to Personally Identifiable Information
A cookie is a piece of data that is stored on a visitor’s hard drive. AMA uses information from cookies, for example, to analyze trends, track visitors' movements and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. If a visitor rejects the cookie, the visitor may be limited in some areas of the Website. Most Web browsers can be set to inform you when a cookie has been sent to you and provide you with the opportunity to refuse that cookie. You should consult your Web browser to choose the appropriate setting to accept or reject cookies.
We may use “clear GIFs” (aka “Web beacons” or “pixel tags”) or similar technologies in the Website and/or in our communications with you. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a Web page or in an e-mail or other type of message, which is retrieved from a remote site on the Internet enabling the verification of an individual’s viewing or receipt of a Web page or message.
IP Address and Clickstream Data
Additionally, when you visit the Website, our server automatically collects data about your server’s IP Address, which is a number that’s automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider whenever you’re on the Internet. When you request pages from our Website, our servers may log your IP Address and sometimes your domain name. Our server may also record the referring page that linked you to us (e.g., another Website or a search engine); the pages you visit on this Website; the Website you visit after this Website; the ads you see and/or click on; other information about the type of Web browser, computer, platform, related software and settings you are using; any search terms you have entered on this Website or a referral site; and other Web usage activity and data logged by our Web servers. We use this information for internal system administration, to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our Website. Such information may also be used to gather broad demographic information, such as country of origin and Internet service provider.
Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of our Website. To opt-out of your Website usage being included in our Google analytics reports, you may follow these instructions.
These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and relate your Website Usage Information to other information about you, including your Personally Identifiable Information. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access our Website using different Web browsers and different computers or devices.
Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks
We use third-party advertising companies to select and serve ads to you. These companies may use information about your visits to this Website and other Websites, the region of the country or world where your IP address indicates you are located, as well as other information about you in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These advertisements may appear on this Website and on other Websites. These companies may employ cookies, clear GIFs and other tracking technologies to cause relevant ads to be displayed to you. We encourage you to read these businesses’ privacy policies to learn about how they treat your information. For more information about third-party advertisers and how to prevent them from using your information, visit the NAI’s consumer Web site at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or Aboutads.info at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail under the Website Usage Information section above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser.
Our third party partners, such as web analytics companies and third party ad networks, collect information about your online activities over time and across our Website and other online properties. These third parties may not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser and we do not obligate these parties to honor DNT settings.
AMA’s Website contains links to other sites. Some links are to sites of AMA’s partners that offer AMA customers and Members a variety of special products and services. Please be aware that AMA is not responsible for the content, security or privacy practices on or of such other sites. We trust that you are aware when you leave the AMA Website, and we encourage you to read the privacy statements of each site to which ours is linked.
AMA endeavors to protect Personally Identifiable Information submitted to AMA via its Website. However, because the Internet is an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
You may be able to create an account on our Website with a username and password. If so, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality and security of your account password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of the Website through your password or account, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by or on behalf of you, and whether or not such person or entity is your employee or agent. You agree to (a) immediately notify AMA of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. When you desire to cancel your account on this Website, it is your responsibility to notify AMA. We will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this provision.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Personally Identifiable Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would try to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, if we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use another method to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at [email protected] with the alternative contact information you would like us to use.
If you have any questions about privacy at the AMA Website, please send an e-mail to [email protected].
Correction/Updating Personal Information
If your Personally Identifiable Information changes (such as a zip code), or if you no longer desire to use or access our Website or services, we will provide a way to correct, update or remove your Personally Identifiable Information. This can be done through the Website at www.amanet.org/service or by calling AMA Customer Service at 1-877-566-9441. AMA Members can also access and update Personally Identifiable Information from the “Your Member Account” page.
If you wish to review the data we have on file about you, please send a written request with a check payable to American Management Association for $10 (handling fee) to Database Services Center, P.O. Box 319, Saranac Lake, NY 12983.
Consent to Worldwide Transfer and Processing of Personal Data
Notification of Changes
Problems or Complaints
Last updated July 25, 2017