Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
Jan 24, 2019
Listening, Engagement, Commitment: The Path to Win-Win Outcomes
In this post-pushing, post-selling world, influence can no longer be viewed as something you do to someone to get what you want. People today are more aware than ever before about self-serving tricks and tactics being used on them.
In fact, gaining real influence isn’t even about what you want.
Based on the presenters’ decades of experience and extensive interviews with high-level influencers—people in business, government, nonprofits, sports, the arts, and more — Goulston and Ullmen share what they've learned about the remarkable power of real influence and offer insights for tapping into it, including:
- The simple four-step model that will help you connect with people you thought were unreachable
- How to get past the “blind spot” in our brains that makes connecting and influencing impossible
- How to avoid bad influence habits that can disconnect you from your team, your clients, your family, and others
- How listening with a real motive to learn and understand will change a relationship instantly
- Ways to repair a reputation damaged by trying to influence via manipulation
- Why one of the biggest factors in becoming a power influencer is gratitude
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
Mark Goulston, M.D., is an executive coach, team building consultant trained as a clinical, psychiatrist. He has been a UCLA professor of psychiatry for more than 25 years, trained FBI and police hostage negotiators and worked with or spoken to companies, universities and organizations including GE, Goldman Sachs, Xerox, State Farm Insurance, Accenture, Ernst & Young, Kodak, Merrill Lynch, Kaiser Permanente, Astra Zeneca, ADP, UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, American Bar Association.
He is a bestselling book author and writes the Tribune Media syndicated career advice column, Solve Anything with Dr. Mark, blogs for Fast Company and the Huffington Post and is a contributor to Harvard Business online.
John Ullmen, Ph.D. , is an acclaimed executive coach whose clients include dozens of leading international firms. He oversees MotivationRules.com, conducts popular feedback-based seminars on influence in organizations, and teaches at the UCLA Anderson School of Management.