A Reminder About Empowerment
Cy Charney, author of AMACOM's The Manager's Tool Kit,
offers this reminder about empowerment. You will get the most out of people if you treat them as partners and give them increasing power as their abilities improve.
More specifically, Charney advises:
- Accept the fact that you are fallible. Learn from thers, particularly from someone who does the job regularly.
- Allow people to discover their own ways to achieve goals.
- Encourage people to take responsibility for their decisions by giving them an opportunity to self-correct and learn from their mistakes.
- Establish clear boundaries. Be prepared to enlarge these boundaries as confidence and competence grow.
- Review your management systems regularly t ensure that they support rather than obstruct performance.
- Train your people continuously. This will increase their skills and confidence.
5 Skills Every New Manager Needs to Succeed
AMA is one of the most widely recognized leaders in business training, having provided corporate training solutions
for over 95 years. From leadership, communication and managerial training
, customer service
and analytical skills, AMA has developed a vast array of content and training solutions to help individuals and organizations achieve business results . Each year, AMA delivers thousands of seminars and courses across the United States. With courses offered in a classroom near you
or live online
, AMA is a flexible, convenient resource for all of your organization's talent development needs. AMA also offers customized solutions based on your specific talent development requirements.