Design a Chart That Tells the Story in One Second!
The amount of business data available for reporting and analysis is skyrocketing. And every day it becomes more and more critical for you to communicate the meaning and actionable insights with your data as clearly and quickly as possible.
But are you asking your stakeholders to invest too much time attempting to understand the meaning of your numbers?
It’s no longer good enough to simply throw a series of pie charts on slides or in a report and expect your audience to understand the story behind those charts. It’s the message of the data that matters and leads to effective business decisions, and bad charts = bad decision-making.
This course gives you a set of tools and techniques to present complex data in a manner that conveys important ideas effectively. In a nutshell, you’ll learn how to present your data in a “1-second chart™” that is easy to interpret.
A 1-second chart is not a chart that takes 1 second to create (as much as we would like that!), but one that takes your audience 1 second to read and understand.
If your day-to-day work involves creating even a single bar chart on an Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint slide, this course is for you.
What You Will Learn
This webinar explores what makes a chart successful and effective in telling a story. You'll learn 10 proven techniques and tips for creating effective charts and data visualizations using the tools and software you already have, including:
- “Chart first, text 2nd”
- The “McKinsey Rule”
- Reducing color
- Adding emphasis
- Direct labeling
- Splitting up complex data
- Identifying and removing "chart junk”
- Why pie charts are killing your message
- And much more!
After 90 minutes, you’ll come away with solid strategies for creating new and improving existing charts that can be understood in mere seconds.
How You Will Benefit
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Apply graphic design principles to your data visualizations
- Combine charts and text in presentations in the right proportions
- Choose more effective charts to convey dense data sets
- Easily spot and remove extraneous chart elements that stand in the way of clear data storytelling
- Limit your reliance on ineffective and tired chart types
- Discover more effective solutions for the dreaded and impossible-to-read clustered column chart
How Do AMA Webinars Work?
AMA Webinars provide you with a cost-effective and convenient way to boost your know-how. You can participate in the comfort of your home or office without the need for travel costs and time.
BONUS: Paid registrants will also get a single-user license to access a recorded archive of the program for a full year.
Please note that AMA Webinars are designed to provide a one-to-one learning experience for an individual and are not designed to be viewed in a group setting. Program access is available only via the MYAMA account of the registered attendee.
* 1-Second Chart™ is a trademark of Nolan Haims Creative.
To fully participate in this electronic, interactive and live session, please check your system (or ask your IT department) to ensure it meets the following requirements:
Supported OS, Browser and Additional Requirements
- Windows 7 (Microsoft Edge, Latest Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.9 (*Latest Firefox, Safari, or Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
- Android 4.x (Chrome Browser Only)
- Apple iOs (*Latest version, Safari Browser Only)
* Official support for the "latest" version of a newly released browser, among those noted above, will be added within 8 weeks of public release. Until then, the previous version will continue to be supported instead.
If you are using an unsupported version of a Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system, you may experience difficulty in viewing and/or listening to the event.
Test Your Computer
The audio portion of this AMA web event will be delivered directly through your computer’s speakers or attached headphones. To fully participate in this electronic, interactive, live session, please test your system and review the requirements (or ask your IT department) before the program begins:
- Minimum bandwidth requirement is 512 kbps for meeting attendees
- POP-UP Blockers must be turned off to access the program.
Still need Help? Additional technical information can be found here. You can also view these tips in Spanish and French.
Important tip - Please allow 15 minutes prior to joining a session to conduct your set-up and testing!
Need further assistance? Visit the complete help guide for ON24: https://event.on24.com/view/help/ehelp.html