Five Factors for Winning
Jan 24, 2019
By Brian Tracy
Start new employees off right.
In his book Motivation, Brian Tracy suggests that the key to getting the most productivity from new hires is to make them feel like a winner from the first day. To help them feel like a winner, he suggests that a person needs five things:
- Clear goals and objectives, which are discussed and agreed upon.
- Clear measurements, metrics, and standards so that the employee knows that success will be measured and determined
- Clear deadlines and sub-deadlines so the employee knows exactly when the job is supposed to be completed.
- Success experiences—that is, the employee must actually complete the job on time, on budget, and to the agreed-on standards of quality.
- Recognition and rewards-the employee must receive acknowledgment for successful task completion by the boss, very much like the crowd cheering for a winning athlete. In addition, whenever possible, there should be both tangible and intangible rewards that accompany the successful completion of a task.
Excerpted, by permission of the publisher, from Motivation by Brian Tracy. Copyright 2013, Brian Tracy. Published by AMACOM.
About the Author(s)
is the Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International
, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations. One of the top business speakers and authorities in the world today, he has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the United States and more than 60 countries worldwide. He has written 65 books and produced more than 500 audio and video learning programs on management, motivation, and personal success.