Start new employees off right.
In his book Motivation, Brian Tracy suggests that the key to getting the most productivity from new hires is to make them feel like a winner from the first day. To help them feel like a winner, he suggests that a person needs five things:
- Clear goals and objectives, which are discussed and agreed upon.
- Clear measurements, metrics, and standards so that the employee knows that success will be measured and determined
- Clear deadlines and sub-deadlines so the employee knows exactly when the job is supposed to be completed.
- Success experiences—that is, the employee must actually complete the job on time, on budget, and to the agreed-on standards of quality.
- Recognition and rewards-the employee must receive acknowledgment for successful task completion by the boss, very much like the crowd cheering for a winning athlete. In addition, whenever possible, there should be both tangible and intangible rewards that accompany the successful completion of a task.
Excerpted, by permission of the publisher, from Motivation by Brian Tracy. Copyright 2013, Brian Tracy. Published by AMACOM. For more information, visit www.amacombooks.org
5 Skills Every New Manager Needs to Succeed
AMA is one of the most widely recognized leaders in business training, having provided corporate training solutions
for over 95 years. From leadership, communication and managerial training
, customer service
and analytical skills, AMA has developed a vast array of content and training solutions to help individuals and organizations achieve business results . Each year, AMA delivers thousands of seminars and courses across the United States. With courses offered in a classroom near you
or live online
, AMA is a flexible, convenient resource for all of your organization's talent development needs. AMA also offers customized solutions based on your specific talent development requirements.