Start new employees off right.
In his book Motivation, Brian Tracy suggests that the key to getting the most productivity from new hires is to make them feel like a winner from the first day. To help them feel like a winner, he suggests that a person needs five things:
- Clear goals and objectives, which are discussed and agreed upon.
- Clear measurements, metrics, and standards so that the employee knows that success will be measured and determined
- Clear deadlines and sub-deadlines so the employee knows exactly when the job is supposed to be completed.
- Success experiences—that is, the employee must actually complete the job on time, on budget, and to the agreed-on standards of quality.
- Recognition and rewards-the employee must receive acknowledgment for successful task completion by the boss, very much like the crowd cheering for a winning athlete. In addition, whenever possible, there should be both tangible and intangible rewards that accompany the successful completion of a task.
Excerpted, by permission of the publisher, from Motivation by Brian Tracy. Copyright 2013, Brian Tracy. Published by AMACOM. For more information, visit www.amacombooks.org