In a global marketplace with fast-changing players and an economy still struggling to rebound from recession, the business community is facing unprecedented challenges. More than ever, every manager—whether fresh out of business school, recently promoted from the ranks of individual contributors, or with years of on-the-job experience—needs a firm foundation in the core principles and processes of effective, efficient management and leadership.
Recognized throughout the world as the preeminent provider of business education, American Management Association (AMA) has been instrumental in the training, development, and success of literally millions of business managers and leaders, including the majority of Fortune 500 executives. Now, for the first time, AMA has gathered the essential, must-master management and leadership skills in one volume AMA BUSINESS BOOT CAMP
: Management and Leadership Fundamentals That Will See You Successfully Through Your Career (AMACOM, 2013).
Edited by AMA International President and CEO Edward T. Reilly, this indispensable resource serves as both a crash course and comprehensive checklist of the tasks, competencies, and responsibilities involved in the daily practice of managing and leading people to work together, achieve excellence, and move their organization forward—ahead of competitors and securely into the future.
Organized to follow the progression of a manager’s career, AMA BUSINESS BOOT CAMP focuses on developing the collective skills of successful managers and the defining qualities of outstanding leaders. Starting with the nuts-and-bolts of basic management, chapters pave the way for readers to:
- Define their new roles as manager, create a healthy and productive working environment, and determine how to best communicate within their organization.
- Uncover the sources of employee motivation, delegate for growth and development, and coach others to superior performance.
- Manage staff changes with ease, minimizing workforce disruption, and become adept at recruiting, interviewing, and selecting the right person for the job and the organization.
- Keep up with the pace and demands of managing projects, from setting up the project scope and putting together a team to delivering results on schedule and on budget.
- Think strategically and act tactically, develop a longer term vision and strategic frame of reference, and balance making their vision a reality with operational work.
- Determine their own leadership style, project a leadership image, build power and influence, and participate in office politics, ethically, to fulfill their mission.
- Excel at managing and motivating a diversity of “difficult” people, including complainers, backstabbers, stallers, emotional hotheads, and perfectionists.
Throughout AMA BUSINESS BOOT CAMP offers useful information, proven techniques and tactics, helpful tools, innovative ideas, interactive exercises, and self-assessments, as well as the expert guidance of AMA’s outstanding faculty and authors. To quote Ed Reilly’s words of assurance to every manager and aspiring leader: “As with all of our work at AMA, it is my hope that this book will be a helpful tool in the development and refinement of your career.”
About the Author
EDWARD T. REILLY is the 17th president and CEO of American Management Association (AMA) International. Prior to joining AMA in 2001, he was president and CEO of Big Flower Holdings, Inc., a leading provider of integrated marketing and advertising services. He also served as president of The McGraw-Hill Broadcasting Company, among various executive positions during his more than 25 years with the book publishing and broadcast groups of The McGraw-Hill Companies. He lives in Westport, Connecticut.
About American Management Association
American Management Association (www.amanet.org) is a world leader in talent development, advancing the skills of individuals to drive business success. AMA’s approach to improving performance combines experiential learning—learning through doing—with opportunities for ongoing professional growth at every step of one’s career. AMA supports the goals of individuals and organizations through a complete range of products and services, including classroom and live online seminars, e-learning programs, webcasts, webinars, podcasts, corporate and government solutions, business books and research. Organizations worldwide, including the majority of the Fortune 500, turn to AMA as their trusted partner in professional development and draw upon its experience to enhance skills, abilities and knowledge with noticeable results from day one. For more information about the AMA, please visit: http://www.amanet.org/